Recipe of the Week: Chicken Artichoke Lasagna


Let's be honest for a moment...I love lasagna. I'm kind of like Garfield in that regard. Okay, so I don't eat a ton of frozen lasagna but I would if I had to! Thankfully, I don't have to be that extreme because I have recipes like this one in my back pocket. I had some ground chicken out, started cooking it, and these wild flavor combinations started flying out at me. Let me preface this by saying I adore artichokes. Mmm. Oh, and I made this gluten free by using gluten-free lasagna noodles but you could use thinly sliced zucchini as well. My mouth is actually watering right now. Pitiful. Anyway, here is my recipe. I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
a handful of frozen chopped spinach
half a package of sun-dried tomatoes 
1 jar marinara sauce
1 package gluten-free lasagna noodles
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
16 oz. ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
2 c. mozzarella cheese

Directions: 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook noodles and then place in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking and keep them separated.

In a large skillet, brown the ground chicken with the chopped onion. Add the seasonings, the artichoke hearts, and the handful of frozen chopped spinach.

Put the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl with some hot water and let them sit for a while until soft. Chop them and add to the meat mixture. Add the jar of marinara to the meat mixture as well.
Combine the ricotta cheese, 1 egg, and about 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese in a bowl.




Layer the lasagna in a 9x13 pan starting with a small amount of meat/sauce mixture, followed by noodles. Add the meat mixture, topping it with the cheese mixture.
Next add more noodles and repeat layers.



On top, put the remaining cheese (or however much you prefer).
Cover pan with foil and put into preheated oven. Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
Remove foil and place back in oven until the cheese is browned to your liking.


I hope you enjoy this as much as our family does. Tell me, what is your favorite family meal?






20 comments

Kara Marks said...

This looks wonderful! I've bookmarked it--thank you for the recipe!

Diane said...

Sounds good, minus the artichoke hearts, of course! ;)

CJ said...

i love chicken lasagna!!! i never had it with artichokes before. this recipe looks fantastic. looking forward to trying this. :)

Kate Sarsfield said...

I've only recently started to replace the pasta with slices of veg & the whole family love it!

slehan said...

I would totally eat that all up. Great flavors.

slehan at juno dot com

Michele S. said...

I habe made this before but your recipe is much better. Thank you

DeeDeeBamaGirl said...

I love lasagna but have never added artichokes. I will have to try this recipe. Sounds great!

amy m said...

Pinned and ready for the next time I cook. I'm not eating mammals these days, and this is a great idea!

rblbsh28 said...

I love lasagna and this one looks yummy

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks so delicious. Can't wait to try it! My favorite family meal has to be green chili or macaroni & cheese. I have tried barbecue pork mixed with mac & cheese as well--that is to die for! Thanks for the recipe.

Jeanna Massman said...

This looks so tasty and the ingredients are a welcome change from beef lasagna.

billwinsbig said...

We are always looking for different recipes to fix for our "Italian Night" meal!

Rachel said...

I've never had chicken lasagna. Sounds interesting with the artichokes.

Karen Propes said...

Always looking for recipes that use artichokes. We like them but love something than just salad. Thank you for sharing.

Barb said...

This I must say looks tasty and I don't like many veggies. I have never tried an Artichoke but you might have convinced me to give it a whirl.

amycrocker76 said...

This reminds me a bit of my favorite variety of Lean Pockets, Spinach Artichoke Chicken. My favorite food is Italian and I am always on the lookout for new recipes. My whole family doesn't have an across the board favorite dish, but there are several that are winners, like macaroni and cheese.

Sandra Watts said...

I don't eat artichokes much. The lasagna might be a good way to fit it in to where I can get the whole family to eat it though.

Jerry Marquardt said...

This recipe looked so good, I copied it down. I am going to make it this coming week. I thank you so much for the share.

Shelly Peterson said...

yum! this looks really good. I would love to try this recipe out.

G K said...

I love the use of artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. Both have such unique but strong flavors. Perfect for many dishes!